Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Cookbook Challenge Week 3 - Hors D'oeuvres

I find it virtually impossible not to pronounce Hors D'oeuvres as horses doov-rahs. I don't know where this comes from, I am guessing some long forgotten television reference passed down through the generations.

Hors D'oeuvres themselves also seem long forgotten. In the 21st century they are more likely to be referred to as starters or canapes I think. I can't remember the last time I saw the words printed on a menu.
Sticking with this weeks Cookbook Challenge theme, I decided to consult an old-school cookbook to whip an old-school kind of Hor D'oeurves. Suzanne Dixon-Hudson's The Boozy Chef - Recipes for drinkers who love to cook (picked up at the op-shop for the princely sum of $2), brings us Absolutely Stuffed Mushrooms.

I have halved the amounts that were in the book as I found the filling was enough to do about 1kg of mushrooms! The following will fill around 500gms of mushies.

Ingredients

500gms mushrooms, stalks removed (keep them to add to the filling)
1/2 cup grated cheese
125gm cottage cheese (who knew this still existed? You could do ricotta instead for sure)
2 rashers bacon, rinds removed and lightly cooked
1 1/2 celery stalks
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 dry white wine (you could omit this, I guess because it's a boozy cookbook there has to be some booze)
1/2 tbs Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
Combine all the filling ingredients, including the mushroom stalks, in a food processor and whizz to combine.
Fill each mushroom with a tablespoon of filling. The recipe says to bake them for 5 minutes, but this is nowhere near long enough, I would give them 12-15 minutes.


I added some grated cheese on top too, which made them a little oily, but the filling was quite oozy so I think you need something on top to keep it inside the mushrooms.


I wasn't expecting the filling to end up being such a paste. The flavour of the celery really cuts through, but apart from that, there are not super tasty. If I was going to do stuffed mushrooms again, I would probably use my mum's recipe which is just as old-school, but twice as good.
These are a good base for an Hors D'oeuvres though, so I would say go for the 'shrooms as a starter, but come up with something better to stuff them with.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Rilsta @ My Food Trail said...

I think next year if the challenge continues, we should change the nameof hor d'oeuvres! I keep having to copy and paste it cos I can never remember the spelling! :)

I made stuffed mushrooms too!

Agnes said...

The Boozy Chef - fantastic name for a cookbook! Shame that the mushrooms weren't up to scratch. What usually goes in the mushrooms in your mum's recipe?

Unknown said...

Looks like my sort of cookbook. It's a shame the filling wasn't wonderful, as it sounds quite a nice combination. Leigh

What's For Tea? said...

I couldn't resist buying that book when I saw it! I think the filling would be better off just 'pulsed' in the food processor so it doesn't end up a paste. My mum's has similar ingredients but they are finely chopped and mixed by hand. I'll dig out her recipe and give them a go.

Anonymous said...

Shame these werent what you were expecting, but I love the name of the cookbook! Worth giving a shot with another recipe because stuffed mushies can be so yum!

Join Our Group On Facebook

What's For Tea? on Facebook