Sunday, December 13, 2009

Rose's Rum Balls - 1 - $ - V - !

Every year I vow to get organised for Xmas and every year I find myself dashing around some revolting shopping centre in a consumerist frenzy trying to buy presents on Xmas Eve. Well not this year baby! (Insert your best George Costanza voice here.)

This year I am either going to make the presents or buy something for someone who REALLY needs it, on behalf of one of my nearest and dearest, from Oxfam.

I started the making today by having a crack at Rose's Rum Balls. Rose is my mother-in-law and she gives these away to rapturous applause every year.
I've put mine in jars that I've been saving all year and got some fabric and ribbon to pretty them up for about $8 - bargain!


The following recipe has been translated from the ye olde measurements Rose wrote down for me and makes about 30 balls.

Ingredients


1 pack of unsweetened biscuits, minus the one that you will eat (I used Marie biscuits)
200gm of sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp dark rum, you can use brandy or leave it out if little people are going to eat them
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp butter, melted
dessicated coconut


Whizz the biscuits in a food processor to make fine crumbs, or put in a freezer bag and roll between two tea towels with a rolling pin.
Put the crumbs in a large mixing bowl and add all the other ingredients except the coconut. Stir well to combine, a metal spoon is the way forward here as the mixture is very dense and hard to work.
Place the mix in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
When you're ready to roll, sprinkle a plate with the coconut and commandeer all hands in the house. Roll the mix into small balls and then roll in the coconut. Pop them back in the fridge for a few minutes just to firm them up again and then put into jars and store in the fridge.
Give to all your friends and wish them happy holidays.

The next batch I make I am going to use Cointreau and add some orange rind for a jaffa-type flavour, I'll let you know how I go.

*POST EDIT - I DID do the Cointreau and it's amazing! Substitute the rum for Cointreau (just buy the little mini-bar sized bottle) and add the zest of one orange - enjoy!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Join Our Group On Facebook

What's For Tea? on Facebook