Saturday, December 18, 2010

Peppermint Patties - 1 - $ - V

Well hello! It's been a long time hasn't it? You probably thought I dropped off the face of the earth! I almost did because my world fell over about a month ago, but it's slowly starting to right itself. Even though some days feel like each minute lasts a million years I have been blessed with much love from good friends and that is what's getting me through.

As has become my tradition I bake like a fiend before Xmas and give treats away as presents. I am very lucky to live in a world where I want for nothing and rather than spend lots of money on buying things that people don't really need I prefer to pour my good will - and various kinds of booze - into my gifts.

In addition to the usual rum balls (this year's versions contain spiced dark rum all the way from Cuba and Cointreau) I have added peppermint patties to my 2010 repertoire. These are so quick and easy to make you'll smash out everyone's gifts in an afternoon! I've packaged mine in noodle boxes this year but you can use jars or cellophane bags or waxed paper. A bit of fabric, a ribbon and your imagination will make for pretty pressies I'm sure.

Ingredients - makes approximately 30

400gm peppermint chocolate (not the gooey kind mind)
1/2 cup cream
12 sweet biscuits (I used Marie biscuits)
dessicated coconut

Break up the chocolate and put it in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water.
In the meantime whizz the biccies in the food processor to make fine crumbs or crush with a rolling pin.
As the chocolate starts to melt, stir in the cream and mix well to make sure it is combined and and completely smooth.

Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the biscuit crumbs and mix well. Pop the bowl in the fridge to cool. It will be impossible to roll the patties unless the mixture has cooled right down.
Take a small amount of mixture, roll it between your palms to form a ball and then cover in the coconut. Place on a tray lined with baking paper (the ball will start to spread out into a patty). Put the tray in the fridge until the patties are set hard.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

they look so yummy! Adore your little noodle boxes and ribbon too.

Sleekit said...

I am just about to wash mine down with a cup of tea.

Welcome back luv, we missed you x

Love always

Sleekit x

Agnes said...

Hope everything is okay - very glad to hear that you have good friends to rely on.

What's For Tea? said...

Thank you for the lovely comments ladies, it's nice to be back x

Anonymous said...

that looks like a giant turd in a bowl!!!!

Join Our Group On Facebook

What's For Tea? on Facebook