Sunday, July 18, 2010

Flea Market Finds

Today's Flea Market Find comes from the Salvos on Carlisle Street. Possibly the world's most expensive op-shop, you really have to hunt to around to find the bargains. And hunt I did, discovering Australia Women's Weekly Cookbook gold! I got 5 books for $10! They are all late 80s publications and include: Dinner Party Cookbook; Barbecue Cookbook; Salads; Vegetarian Cooking; and Microwave Cookbook #2.


I've been enjoying taking a step back in culinary time...a time when vegetarians were only allowed to use carob in desserts and apricots were the ingredient de jour.
A lot of these recipes may be out of fashion and the styling would make Donna Hay faint but these books are still useful and a great resource for 'retro-style' cooking or old favourites - prawn cocktails come on down!

Cappu-what? Ooh la la fancy!

My favourite is the Dinner Party Cookbook as it gives you complete menus of 3-4 courses comprising 5-6 dishes in each. For my next dinner party I am tossing up between:

Smoked Trout Pate
Steaks with Brandy Cream Sauce
Vegetable Platter

Minted Cucumber Salad

Cherry Rum Cake

OR

Potted Seafood

Chicken in a Basket
Julienne of Zucchini
Onion Rings

Potato Straws
Chocolate Ice-cream Log


Once I make my mind up your invite will be in the post.

Note the presentation of the avocado

I was also very interested to see a croquembouche featured in the Barbecue Book. Decorated with crystallised violets and spun sugar no less. Now where would I have seen one of those before?

Well before Adriano ever made one...

For more Flea Market Finds, and lovely blogs, head over to Sophie's place.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sleekit said...

hi hun,

I'm finding lots of shoes at the Salvos in Carlisle St. In fact I spotted a cool pair of gold wedges on Friday but they were too small : (

I have left you a little challenge
http://sleekitone.blogspot.com/2010/07/all-good-things-you-never-knew-about-me.html if you have time

Sleekit x

Join Our Group On Facebook

What's For Tea? on Facebook